Sunday, January 8, 2012

Seed packet info- a look at a few envelopes

I'm kind of a freak about good packaging, because I'm a nerd and like to read all instructions thoroughly, no matter what the product. So it's no surprise that I like a lot of info on my seed packets. I don't know how much of a practical crutch it is at this point, because I could probably remember on my own how most things are supposed to be planted. But I like having that info nearby in print just in case for quick reference. For a new gardener, accurate and thorough label info can be very important. It certainly was for me since I didn't own a lot of gardening books initially. So I thought I'd go over a few seed packets that I've accumulated and see how useful their labeling is...


1. Kitazawa seed company. I was really excited to see this brand now being stocked at my local nursery, because they carry a few harder to find asian vegetable varieties. I bought a packet of Japanese Mugwort. In Korean it's called Ssuk. I've never grown it before, nor have I even seen it growing. So I really had no info of my own. And there isn't info on this plant in my gardening books. The info on the packet unfortunately was pretty spartan. They gave planting depth of 1/4"-1/2" (Which I don't even think could be correct. I'll explain that opinion later.), thinning distance, and a little info on using it in food. What they didn't mention is that the seed looks like sawdust! I had no idea if I was planting seed, or ground up seed husks. I ended up putting an entire pinch of the "sawdust" into a 1/4" deep hole. I think that was a mistake. I found info later online that did specifically refer to the seeds as super tiny, and said that it should just be lightly pressed into the soil. That made way more sense, since that's how I would plant chamomile seeds (which are also super tiny). Thankfully I believe this is supposed to be a pretty vigorous plant, so hopefully I'll still get something that I can transplant later. Seed packet info grade: B-. And in my book, that's not good, because I'm a total Lisa Simpson. I may still continue to buy seeds from this company though, if their plants turn out healthy and taste good, because they do have those harder to find asian varieties.



2. Botanical Interests. Remember that old Prego commercial ("It's in there!")? Well this seed packet has got everything in it. Planting info, seedling info, mature plant info, cultural history, variety history, and more. It has so much info that I could only show part of it. In addition to the stuff on the front and back, if you cut open the packet, there's more info on the inside. Plus sometimes a picture of how the seedling looks when it starts to grow, which is really useful, so that you can tell the difference between the veggie and a stray weed. Definitely a great seed packet for someone just starting to garden, or maybe planting something they're unfamiliar with. Also, there's a cut away section on the packet that has a summary which you can attach to a plant marker for in the field info. Info grade: A. Oh, and they also have an iphone app that has plant info and tips. But I think there's more info on the packet itself than in the app version.


 
3. Peaceful Valley. These are two different seed packets from the same company. I should preface this review by saying that the seed packet on the bottom was a freebie when I purchased some gardening supplies. So I probably should just be grateful and move on. But I want to point out the lack of logic in how they did this. The info is very spartan on the freebie packet. I didn't have as much trouble with this as I did with the mugwort because I had plenty of supplemental info on kale in my gardening books. The seeds also germinated just fine and I ate plenty of kale. But if you're giving out freebies to customers so they can try new varieties, wouldn't you want to set them up for success? Why skimp on tips, if you've clearly also got seed packets (such as on the top) which already have more info? I'm going to have to give this a B. Though I'm probably looking a gift horse in the mouth.


4. Seed Savers Exchange. This packet had pretty decent info. Also, I'm a sucker for pictures. And they have a little colorful graphics. And, I think they've made an improvement recently. When I first bought from them, some of their seed packets had this really gummy red glue to seal the envelope. Its was really annoying because the seeds used to get caught in the glue all the time. The last couple batches of seeds I bought from them didn't have this glue on the envelope, so I'm hoping they've totally phased that red goop out. I like to give credit for improvement. Packet info grade: A-. As an aside I want to mention that I really appreciate when packets add germination time info and not just days to harvest. Some seeds come up super fast and others take forever. It's nice to know if you're supposed to wait two weeks, or just a few days.

5. Renee's garden. This packet has a little flappy bit attached that has extra info on the variety. It still doesn't max out on the info like the Botanical interests envelope, but it's pretty thorough. I think this gets a an A- also.

6. Seeds of Change. The big deal with this seed packet is not so much the info (which is adequate), it's the ziploc top. I never use all the seeds at once. I'm usually succession sowing, or I just have leftover seeds that I share with friends or save for a later season. This one gets a A- for its resealable packet. I realize that it uses more resources to have a plastic bag than a simple paper envelope, but because it is durable, I'm considering saving it after the seeds are gone and using it to store seeds that I've collected myself at the end of the season.

I should probably emphasize that these arbitrary grades I doled out have nothing to do with the quality of the seeds. All these companies have all been very successful for me in terms of germination rates, which is really the more critical issue. But I just felt like doing some naval gazing.

10 comments:

  1. Too bad about Kitazawa. I've thought about ordering from them but may not if there isn't enough info on the packet. I too like a lot of info on my seed packets. You may not want to get Baker Creek seeds then. Some packets have info and some don't. Some have a brief history of the heirloom variety and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? I think I'd be okay with ordering from Baker Creek if I was getting seeds that I was already familiar with. But The Kitazawa packet annoyed me because they totally have veggies that are not covered in most books. Maybe I just need to find a book specifically on growing asian veggies. Hopefully there actually is one out there in english.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has to be books out there now on growing Asian veggies. And there must be info online by now too. By the way, did you still want Korean perilla seeds? I still have some that my mother gave me last spring that I didn't germinate. If you do, I'll send them out this weekend. They're best direct sowed. I tried starting them indoors and they didn't do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the offer of seeds! But I'm actually hooked up now! My Mom is getting me seedlings. Apparently there's a Korean nursery here in LA's koreatown. I haven't been yet, but I'm planning an excursion soon. I'll try to take pictures if you're curious!
    It's funny, right after I wrote that previous comment, I searched on Amazon for asian veggie books. There were a couple that looked okay, but I didn't see any specifically for Korean veggies. I think this is a gap that needs to be filled! I have found some info online, but it's pretty sparse and kinda all over. No authoritative site that I found. I could probably search a little harder. But if I don't find anything, wanna do a joint blog series on growing korean veggies in the US!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!!? Man, I miss LA! That's so awesome there's actually a Korean nursery! You have to HAVE TO take pics!!

      I would love to do a joint blog with you! We should actually write a book especially if there isn't a guide specifically for growing Korean vegetables. The next time I see my mother, maybe I'll ask her if she knows how to grow some of the other vegetables and then I will order from Kitazawa. I haven't ordered from them specifically because I don't know how to grow some of the vegetables and especially in po-dunk VA, there aren't too many people now that remember how to grow them, harvest and process the plants. Sad. It's kind of my on-going pursuit to not lose that part of the Korean culture.

      Delete
    2. I'll definitely take pics! I'm glad you're into the idea about writing about growing Korean veggies! Maybe let's start with some blog posts that we can put up on both our blogs and see what we think. I guess I should buy up some Korean veggies and actually learn to grow them first. Ha! Details details. Last year I tried to grow Napa cabbage for kimchee and it did not go well. It's hard in this climate I think because it gets really hot in the summer. I'm gonna try again this year in a container that I can move into the shade. Also, I'm going to see if the nursery has any books too. Even if they're in Korean, I'm gonna pick one up. Fun!

      Delete
    3. I'm going to try to grow napa cabbage too this year along with Korean peppers again. I'm trying to find a good blend of peppers for grinding my own go-chu-galru. :-) I'm also growing green onions and perilla (I have to have perilla) this year but I'm not sure what else to grow at this point. I am going to try to grow daikon radishes but that's not Korean. I'll have to think about it too. I know all of the cabbages and radishes can grow here because of our seasons, though. Anyway, I think starting out with some blog posts would be great!

      Delete
    4. Oh I definitely want to read about grinding go-chu-galru! I think I'll be going to the nursery next weekend. I'll take pictures then. This will be fun! I think also having two perspectives on growing similar vegetables in different climates is great!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! I can't wait to see pics of the nursery. This will be an interesting gardening experiment for sure! I can't wait for spring!!

    ReplyDelete