Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Round up of the Halls Single Cold Frame

Last winter I got the Halls Single Cold Frame for a Christmas present. I had wanted a cold frame for a a couple years, but it was hard to justify buying one when I live in such a mild climate (Sunset zone 21 or 23). However, it was very easy to demand one from a sibling who has much greater earning power than me. I'm on year two now, and I can definitively say that even in a mild climate a cold frame can still be really helpful for getting a jump on sowing Summer annuals.

The cold frame seems super lightweight, to the point I didn't believe it could work when I first got it. But it really does the trick at keeping in the warmth. Also, because it's lightweight, I was able to move it around and stash it in a corner easily during the summer when I didn't need it. 

I started a bunch of seeds earlier this month and they are already coming right along. In the picture above, I've got tomatoes, tomatillo, cabbage, peppers, green onions, leeks, perilla, and lettuce. In another month or so I can start greater heat loving veggies like eggplant, melon, and squash. I just have to remember to vent the lid on warmer days, so I don't prematurely cook my veggies. Usually if it's going to be in the mid to upper 70s I open the lid. I generally always keep the lid closed at night though.

I've planted a lot more than I need for myself. Last year I was able to give away extra seedlings to family and friends that don't have space for a cold frame. People really appreciated that, so this year I  planted even more extra. My only problem now is that I've run out of space in it. I got the smallest cold frame, but I think I'd suggest to others to consider investing in a double wide if you have the space and money. It's really amazing how fast you fill it up! Also, if you want to pot up your seedlings a couple times while they're still in the cold frame, that eats up space really quickly too.

So, yes, go get yourself a cold frame, even in sunny Los Angeles!


7 comments:

  1. I want one!!! I actually thought about making one-I'm on this DIY kick these days. I should probably just buy one, though. Your seedlings look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really excited about how the seedlings are coming along.
    I had also been planning to build a DIY one using old scratched plexi from work that was going to get thrown away. Ultimately, I never got around to it because I always had a million other things I wanted/needed to do. Maybe later down the road I'll actually build one to supplement this purchased one. I'll definitely want to see what you end up having whether you build it or buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There never seems to be enough time these days. I was actually thinking of making a temporary one just out of cardboard and heavy duty plastic for this spring. I have a lot of seeds to start this coming month! I can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! I haven't even had time to go to the nursery in ages. I was only able to get the seeds going because I got them by mail order. I bet a temporary cover will help a lot. It really doesn't seem to take much to get a greenhouse effect going. I was using 2 liter bottles as covers last year over beans I had planted directly in the ground and they sprouted really early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! You should see my collection of empty toilet paper rolls, yogurt cups, milk cartons, 1 quart plastic milk jugs... my boyfriend probably thinks I'm totally nuts. I was planning to use the plastic milk jugs as covers this spring if I couldn't get to the cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I totally know how that goes. I had to take a step back recently and throw out a bunch of empty containers I'd hoarded. I had sooo many empty hummus containers. It was really getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am SOOOO out of hand right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete