Monday, January 30, 2012

Air Plant Memories


When I was a little kid I bought an air plant that had been glued to a seashell that was then glued to a refrigerator magnet. The lady at the seaside gift shop told me to water it by putting water in my mouth and then spraying it out onto the plant in a fine mist. That was terrible advice to give a five year old. There was spat out water all over the kitchen floor every week. The plant never got watered properly and died pretty soon. Really disappointing at the time. It's taken decades for me to revisit the air plant.



Turns out they're actually not too hard to care for, especially if they haven't been glued to anything. Just dunk them once a week and shake the excess water off.

I bought a couple bundles from an online store called airplants4U. I wanted to fill up a mini greenhouse I had bought from Ikea on a whim. I also have a maidenhair fern and some decorative moss in there to fill it out. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The plants look really healthy and one of them is flowering. And for the record, I will definitely not be spitting on these to water them.

No comments:

Post a Comment