Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween Costumes for Your Garden


My brussels sprouts are going as the Bride of Frankenstein. 
...I know, but let me explain... 

I planted brussels sprouts, cabbage, and a few other veggie seeds, and I wanted to protect the vegetable bed with black nylon tulle to keep out moths. There's nothing grosser than giant caterpillars living inside your vegetables. But when I went to the fabric store (ISW, my favorite!), I was too embarrassed to tell the nice ladies at the notions counter that I was buying ten yards of tulle for my garden when they asked about it. So I told them I was making a Halloween costume. Then they asked me what I was making, and I got all flustered because they were calling my bluff, so I said I wasn't sure yet but that I would definitely need the tulle. I don't know why I didn't just tell them I was putting it in the yard. But it's not a lie if I actually use the tulle for a costume. So I've draped the tulle over some tomato cages and the official story is that my brussels sprouts are going as the Bride of Frankenstein. But really, I just want to keep the moths out.
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment