Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall is for PLANT SALES!

I love plants. I love sales. I love plant sales! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeal! This weekend Erin and I went to the Huntington Botanical Gardens plant sale and the Theodore Payne Foundation Fall Festival members' pre-sale. We also realized we may be plant hoarders. Could a cable TV reality series be soon to follow?

The Huntington sale was a pretty small affair, limited to a couple rows of tables along the Jacaranda Walk at the entrance. But there were some adorable succulents and cacti to pick from. More than a few I'd never seen before, outside of a Dr. Seuss illustration.

At the Payne Foundation, everything at their huge nursery was marked down 15% for members this weekend. Next weekend the sale price will be available to everyone. I like shelling out for the membership once a year because you also get a discount on the classes they offer. Hummingbird sage, coyote bush, and a California fairyduster were a few of the plants I got. Erin got herself a bush lupine.


It's going to be pretty hot this next week, but I went ahead and jammed all of my new plants in the ground. I may regret later not having waited to plant in cooler weather, which is the usual recommendation for California natives, but I didn't care. I have to be measured and cautious when working in the lab, so when it comes to my garden, I let myself be foolhardy and impatient.

October is full of fun plant and gardening events, especially if you're into native and low-water gardening. There's an awesome calendar of October events from the Chance of Rain blog. Now go hoard some plants!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment