Thursday, March 17, 2011

Urine: the pros and cons of free fertilizer

btw, I <3 Banksy
If you think you're going to get all judge-y about my unconventional gardening methods, you really shouldn't read this post...

I have dogs. So when I first started really gardening, I had to try and convince them not to pee on all my plants and veggies. I've mostly succeeded. Except around the lemon tree. They really, really like to pee on it, under it, near it.

I decided I was not going to win this battle, and I needed to just figure out a way to work with the situation.  I immediately went to the internet and tried to find a weird crackpot work around. The internet being what it is, I found a crackpot solution immediately. Actually, the website I found was about organic lawn care and how to deal with yellow patches in grass from dog pee. This person's solution was to just leave the pee be. His argument was that urine is filled with nitrogen and is actually a great fertilizer. The only problem is that it's too strong, so that's why it turns your lawn yellow. His recommendation was to simply put a little sawdust or something nitrogen-poor over the pee spots to mellow out the urine. 

I love lazy solutions.

I decided to just let the dogs pee all around the lemon tree. I didn't even add sawdust because I read that that lemons actually do like lots of nitrogen. I do have some hay around the tree, but that was just because I wanted a thick mulch to better conserve moisture between waterings. 

For a while, the lemon tree looked great. This was the happy time, when I felt all smug about my method. The tree was growing like crazy and there were a TON of lemons ripening on the branches. Then last week the down side of my method came crashing down.

 

You may recall in a previous post, I mentioned that I know nothing about pruning. So lots of branches heavy with lemons seemed like a good thing. That was a poor assumption on my part. A huge branch snapped under the weight of all the growing lemons and took a quarter of the tree with it. 

There's no real way for me to know how much nitrogen the tree was getting, but I'm pretty sure it was too much. Fruit trees really don't know when to stop. If you keep feeding them, they'll just keep growing until they crash under their own weight. That's the downside of the free pee method: you're basically peeing in the dark.


I think I'm still going to let the dogs keep peeing under the tree. I don't really want to bother retraining them. I do think I will start using nitrogen poor wood chips as a mulch though, to mitigate some of the pee. And I think I really need to get a book on pruning.
-J
P.S. I also read that pee is great for your compost. Some people recommend peeing on your compost pile to give it a bump. But I haven't done that yet, because I have low fences around the yard.

5 comments:

  1. Jen, I love your posts! I'll pee on your compost anytime. Low fences or not... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!!!! On liking my posts and the free pee! You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame all those tasty lemons were too heavy. Sorry about your tree Jen, but I'm sure it will be back in no time with the help of your little friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the other problem too much salt??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great point! I hadn't really dwelled on the issue of salt when I initially decided to just go with the flow and fertilize with pee. I guess in my head I figured whatever salts were in the urine would be comparable to the salts present in commercial fertilizers. But now I'm all curious. So I did a quick google and found this interesting article in Popular Science about a study on the use of human urine as a fertilizer as compared to commercial ones. The results seemed overall positive, though they did dilute the urine a lot:

    http://www.popsci.com/environment/article/2009-09/fertilizer-future-might-be-closer-we-think

    Just out of curiosity I also looked up human urine on Wikipedia. (I know that's not the most reliable source, but I don't have any medical books.) They had a quick breakdown of non-water constituents in people pee:
    urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L

    The urea and potassium is good stuff. I have no idea about creatinine. The sodium and chloride is not good. But I think that I wouldn't have to worry about the chlorides and sodium as much in my dogs' urine, because they don't eat as much salt as the average person does. Nevertheless I think I should keep the issue of salts in mind as the year progresses. Since Summer is around the corner, the tree won't be getting as much water, and so salts won't be washed away as quickly. I guess I'll just have to see what happens...

    ReplyDelete