Sunday, March 13, 2011

2011 Santa Barbara International Orchid Show

I went up to Santa Barbara today to check out the Santa Barbara Orchid Show. There were so many orchids, my brain exploded. Halfway through, I was so overwhelmed, I had to step outside for a minute and rest. Then I went back in to finish wandering around. Here are some pics...












Oddly, with all those orchids everywhere, I ended up buying these carnivorous plants. I got a pitcher plant and a sundew. On the way home I stopped by the grocery store to buy a jug of distilled water. Apparently these plants must have absolutely pure water to survive. The sundew already caught a little fruit fly! Mwahahaha!

-J

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love orchids! I love carnivorous plants even more!! Mwahahaha!! I wanted a venus fly trap when I was young so I could watch it close on my finger! Hey, how are your worms doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the worms...sigh. Well when I go digging around in there, the ones that I can find look very fat and happy. But they really haven't multiplied at all it seems. So the bin is still kind of filled with lots of undigested scraps. Also, since I moved them outside, I often find freeloaders in the bin (slugs, earwigs, etc.). Interestingly, my regular compost bin is overflowing these days with worms. I've stopped stirring it altogether because I don't want to hurt them. I'm thinking of one day soon transferring some of the worms from one to the other...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's too bad. Sorry about your worms, but at least your regular compost bin can become a better habitat. It's better than having all your worms die. :-( It did take a while for my worms to really multiple; probably about 6 months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still holding out hope that they'll come around. I figure though that now my bin is outside, at least now the worms have the ability to flee if the bin becomes too inhospitable...

    ReplyDelete