Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Tap: not quite a snowpocalypse, but I'm going to wrap my plants anyway


This weekend's supposed to be CooooooooLD in LA. I've heard Valencia and the Pasadena Foothills may get snow. Saturday night is going to be the coldest night in my East Hollywood/Los Feliz neighborhood, with temperatures dropping to the 30s. I have a little bit of wind tunnel action going on in my backyard because of the layout of the space, so my birdbath will freeze over even when temps dip just into the low 40s. Upshot: I made a reminder to bring my potted subtropical plants into a sheltered area. Any plants I can't move that may suffer from frostbite, I will be wrapping with Reemay to try and insulate them a little. I'll be leaving my Kale and brussels sprouts exposed though, because I read they're supposed to taste better if they get a little frosted. At least I think I read that somewhere. I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up. It sounds believable in any case.

All you humans and animals stay cozy this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Snow in LA?! That's a little crazy! We're supposed to be in the mid-50's low 60's this weekend and tomorrow it's supposed to be almost 70 degrees!! Is the world ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Crazy. All I'm saying is, I've started working on my household emergency kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god! Make sure to add a snow shovel with your emergency kit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh oh. Does that mean I should bring all my new plants inside? What if they are still in seed form? Does it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think you're going to at least bring in the tomatoes you just got, and any subtropicals you've got. Or at least bring them in onto a covered porch or something. I heard it's supposed to start getting really cold Saturday afternoon. I'm kind of excited now! If it starts snowing at the Griffith Observatory I'm going to have to hike up there!

    ReplyDelete