Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Freaky Fruits and Other Odd Growing Things

I wasn't feeling well today and was stuck inside, so I thought I'd review some photos from the past year. I was going to do a little compilation of stuff growing through the seasons. Instead I ended up making a freak show compilation. Go figure...

I like to call this little guy, Elephant Man Lemon. I found it growing on my lemon tree and it totally grossed me out. Did I eat it? Hell no. Lemons aren't supposed to have butts. I did keep it around for a while and show it off to people though.


Now this California poppy bud may not seem unusual unless you are familiar with the way non-bizarro poppies are supposed to look when they are budding. They're supposed to look like this:

As you can see, they're supposed to be wearing little dunce caps, unlike the Moosehead Poppy above.

This is one of my favorites, but it may be difficult to see. There's actually a fig tree growing out the bottom of the crown of the palm tree! I wasn't grossed out by this, just really, really impressed. It's actually a date palm. Which makes me wonder if the figs from the fig tree taste date-like or vice versa.

Here's a strawberry that looks like it should be playing Brunhilde in Wagner's Ring Cycle. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to eat this one. It's still in the yard ripening, and becoming more human-like by the day.

And I saved another butt for last. These two mushrooms grew next to each other and when I saw them in my yard I thought they were mooning me! They even felt fleshy when you touched them. Bleargh!
Have a great week y'all!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment