Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Composty, Wormy Update on the Garden

This weekend I spent some time with my compost, both the regular bin and the worm bin. I wanted to share a quick update, particularly with the worm bin, which has really turned around and is looking better. I guess time does heal some wounds, or festering mold piles in this case (if you're curious about what I'm referring too, there's a previous post on the problems with feeding worms moldy tortillas)...

That's a photo of the finished compost harvested from the center of my big bin above. I have a pretty simple Earth Machine brand bin that I got for super cheap through the city. The Griffith Park composting facility hosts bin sales and workshops regularly. I highly recommend attending, if only for the deep discounts on the compost and worm bins.

I'm pretty laissez faire about my compost. I never stir or aerate it, I just try to throw in greens and browns in a reasonable ratio. If the bin starts to get a funk from too many kitchen scraps, I'll throw in a shovelful of dirt. The compost is kind of slow to form because I don't stir. But on the plus side, I never disrupt the worms that work the bin, so it's really chock full of worms, even though it's not technically a worm bin. When I harvest, I simply pull off the bin and set it up in a spot right next to its previous position. Then I throw back in the unfinished compost materials from the top and sides of the old pile. When I get to the center of the what had been in the bin, there's a mound of lovely black gold, as seen in the picture above.

This time though, I also harvested some of the worm masses I came across and threw them into my "worm bin proper" that's been on the side. The worm bin has been looking a lot better lately. I think just leaving it alone helped a lot. But the worm population was still pretty small because I started with such a small batch of worms (just 50 or so). So I thought I'd boost the numbers. You can see how the worm bin looks lately in the picture below. Much happier!

I think if I can really get my worm numbers up, I can justify buying a really nice wood outdoor worm bin like this cedar bin. Sooooo sturdy looking. One day. A girl can dream...

-J

6 comments:

  1. Yay for compost and worms!! I'm glad your worms in your bins are doing better. They're pretty tough little guys! I'm trying really small scale regular composting in a bucket right now. I'm really not sure how it'll work. At this point, it's not stinking or anything and I am turning it, but I'm not sure if there's enough air circulation. We'll see! I'm sure now that your worms seem to be settling in that they'll start reproducing like mad! You'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Are you going to post about it? I'm really curious how that will turn out. Have you heard of the Bokashi composting thing? I wanted to try it, but I don't really need it since I have the big bin. It's supposedly a way to do really small scale composting by using a live fermenting culture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look into Bokashi. I've never heard of it. I'm wondering if I need to add holes to the side of the bucket or something. Anyway, I just hope this small scale composting in a bucket works. I will definitely blog about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I can't wait to hear about how it turns out. Here's that Bokashi thing I was talking about:
    http://www.planetnatural.com/site/bokashi-composter.html
    I've seen it around online and stuff, but I don't personally know anyone who uses it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link. I started looking into Bokashi and it's very appealing. I might still have to wait and start a real compost bin though. They were saying that the fermentation process creates a really acidic compost and that needs to be buried or added to your regular compost pile before using it for your garden. I like the fact that you can compost meat though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah isn't that crazy that you can compost meat? I read somewhere that people without gardens will just bury it under their potted plants when the repot. It all seems so foreign to me, but intriguing nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete