Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Planting and Puttering

I'm starting to pick up the pace in the garden lately because the weather's been unseasonably warm. I've been getting to do a few things I'd been thinking of for quite a while. For example, I planted the agave above in a converted bathtub planter. This was kind of a big deal for me, because this particular agave has been haunting me for months. I saw it at Sunset Nursery in October, but decided that I didn't really need it, even though I thought it was so so pretty. Well, I took a picture of it on my cel phone before I left. Since then I've decided that if you can't stop thinking about a freaking plant for months, then you actually do need it. But I haven't even told you the best part of this story yet....

I bought the plant and took it home. While transplanting it, I found the plant tag buried in the container. It turns out the cultivar is called Reggae Time! I love fun plant names. So now when I walk by the agave, I say things to it like, "Ya mon, are you feelin' irie yet?" and "Jamaican me crazy." Perhaps one of these days I will knit it a Rasta hat. 

Moving on, I have one more pointless story to share. So I guess I had really let a few veggies go this and last month when I was being lazy about gardening. I found this radish I'd forgotten about in the garden. It's a Cherry Belle radish that's only supposed to grow to 3/4" in diameter. This honker was at least 6 inches across. I put a fork next to it for scale. 

Okay, I'm done with my stories for now. Erin will be posting fun garage improvement designs very soon! Which will definitely be much more useful than my tales of Reggae agaves and monster radishes.

-J

4 comments:

  1. dude what a huge radish. awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Too bad I couldn't eat it. It was waaay too woody...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - Good for you getting the agave you've been wanting. And I think you should name it Marley. :)

    ReplyDelete