Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Short Book Reviews: Part I

I've been looking for a house now for about 4-5 months, and, so far, it's been pretty disappointing.  Every offer I've put in has been counted by an all cash offer, which is almost always accepted over normal bids. At first, when I thought finding a house was imminent, I lost sleep over all the things I didn't know about - like how I was going to unclog my sink or how I was going to layout my garden, which I hadn't seen even yet.  The answer to my sleepless nights: research!  I realized I knew nothing about home improvement or gardening, so I hit the bookshelves at home depot (and at Jennifer's house) and this is what I found....



Black and Decker's The Complete Photo Guide to Home Repair has information on how to remedy almost every basic problem that you can think of in a new house.  The projects are super doable (like how to install a door or patch up a hole in your wall) and the visuals are great.  This guide touches upon maintaining interiors, exteriors, windows/doors, plumbing/wiring, and ventilation.  A perfect book for a new homeowner!

Pat Welsh's Southern California Organic Gardening is an amazing resource for beginning gardeners.  While I haven't really had a chance to use this book (since I don't have a house or, more importantly, a garden!), the information is really well organized, so you know what to do during any month of the year.  In addition, my gardening friends treat this book like a bible, so you know it has to be good. -E

1 comment:

  1. Douglas Kainoa MacLennanNovember 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM

    Pat Welsh! Glad you got a hold of a copy!

    ReplyDelete