Friday, November 12, 2010

Cheap Plant Markers From Plastic Utensils


Here's a quick suggestion for cheap plant markers that reuses something difficult to recycle: plastic utensils with writing in grease pencil (aka china marker).


I've never been able to definitively figure out if plastic utensils are recyclable or not. They don't have a number on them usually. I try not to use them at all. But sometimes I order take-out and I forget to ask them to not include utensils. I feel bad throwing them out. So I save them and use them when I can for bagged lunches, picnics, etc. I found another use for them recently in the garden as plant markers.


Plants markers can be surprisingly expensive for something you're just going to stick in the ground, so this particular new application for stuff I already have pleases my miserly tendencies. I like using a china marker instead of a regular marker because the marks are waterproof and very durable. But when I want to change the text, I can wipe it off and reuse the same utensil many times.

I know it isn't the prettiest looking thing to have plastic spoons, forks, and knives sticking out of the ground all over the place, but I feel like the pros of cheapness, reusing resources, and durability outweigh the appearance. And now, if I ever need to squish a bad bug pest, there's usually a plastic knife nearby, which is plenty strong enough for stabbing smaller invertebrates... Mwah-hahaha!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment