Saturday, July 21, 2012

Canning Caution: don't make marmalade barefoot


I bought a starter canning kit recently (super cheap at $12 from Ball) and I've been trying it out on the weekends. This weekend I tried making marmalade for the first time. I followed the orange-lemon marmalade recipe from the Ball Blue Book Guide. But I also looked at posts from various other blogs like this to see what extra tips I could find. So now that I've given it a go, I thought I'd chime in with my own bit of advice for making marmalade:  wear sneakers, and orthotics if you got 'em. Let me explain...

It took HOURS to cook this and can it! We don't wear shoes inside the house. So I spent the whole time standing barefoot on the hard saltillo tile kitchen floor. Now my feet ache like crazy. If you're going to make marmalade, do yourself a favor and find the most comfy old lady shoes you can to wear from the start. I'm concerned my marmalade isn't going to set right, in which case I'll have to reprocess it. If I do, I will definitely be wearing shoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment